The purpose of NAEMT's Advocacy program is to represent our members on the issues that impact the EMS work environment and the ability of EMS practitioners to effectively serve their patients. We advocate to advance the interests of our profession and our patients.
Through advocacy, we help ensure that the EMS perspective is understood and incorporated into the policies, plans and programs of our government and other national institutions. We voice our concerns when actions are being considered that would have an adverse effect on our members and their patients. And, we promote EMS professionalism and our image within the EMS and medical communities.
Our activities include:
- Widely disseminating our positions that define where we stand on the issues that impact the profession and the environment in which EMS practitioners perform their duties.
- Monitoring federal legislative initiatives, and determining what action the association should take to support or deter particular proposed legislation or regulation that impacts EMS. Read about the bills that NAEMT is actively supporting here.
- Sending a letter of support or comments so that legislators understand the EMS perspective.
- Coordinating advocacy campaigns when needed through which our members call, e-mail or send letters to their Congressional leaders on particular pending legislation.
- Hosting the annual EMS on the Hill Day as an opportunity for all EMS professionals to personally advocate for EMS to our Congressmen and their staff in Washington D.C. All NAEMT members are invited and encouraged to attend.
- Participating as a corporate supporter of Advocates for EMS (AEMS). AEMS is dedicated to promoting, educating and increasing awareness among decision-makers in Washington on issues affecting the EMS profession and EMS practitioners.
- Actively promoting the interests of EMS practitioners to federal agencies that affect EMS, the EMS community and the broader medical and public health communities through our liaison program.
- Providing our members with information about pending legislation and how to advocate for EMS. The NAEMT Grassroots Lobbying Guide gives members an overview of advocacy and how to effectively reach out to elected officials.
Visit our News from Washington page for the latest information on EMS related issues and activities at the federal level.