NAEMT's Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) is recognized around the world as the leading continuing education program for prehospital emergency trauma care. The mission of PHTLS is to promote excellence in trauma patient management by all providers involved in the delivery of prehospital care through global education. PHTLS is developed by NAEMT in cooperation with the American College of Surgeons' Committee on Trauma. The Committee provides the medical direction and content oversight for the PHTLS program.
PHTLS courses improve the quality of trauma care in your area and decrease mortality. The program is based on a prehospital trauma care philosophy, stressing the treatment of the multi-system trauma patient as a unique entity with specific needs. This may require an approach to the trauma patient that varies from traditional treatment modalities. PHTLS promotes critical thinking as the foundation for providing quality care. It is based on the belief that, given a good fund of knowledge and key principles, EMS practitioners are capable of making reasoned decisions regarding patient care. The PHTLS course is continuously updated and revised to keep up with the advances in the field, ATLS Guidelines and feedback from PHTLS participants.
Although PHTLS originated in the United States, it has evolved and now serves as an international education program available to EMS providers in 47 countries
- For a complete list of Committee on trauma chairs in your area, please refer to our list of COT Chairs.
- For a complete list of Regional Committees, please refer to our list of Regional Committees Members.
- To become a PHTLS course site, please contact the NAEMT Headquarters at 1-800-34-NAEMT.
- Purchase PHTLS Textbooks, logo wear, lapel pins and much more at our EMS Online Store.
- We will post updates and changes that occur between editions of PHTLS on these pages along with the science supporting those changes. Any errors that are found in our materials will be addressed at 7th Edition Errata.